Apple Conference, iPhone4S
Last Updated on Tuesday, 4 October 2011 01:45 Written by Nick McD Tuesday, 4 October 2011 01:41
And yes, now what we’ve been looking for, the new iPhone! It’s named the iPhone4S, not iPhone5, but don’t panic, it’s all new!
- Retina display
- Glass case, front and back
- A5 dual-core chip, supposedly 7 times faster graphics and twice the processing speeds
- 8 hours of 3G talk time, 6 of browsing, 9 on WiFi, 10 hours of video, and 40 hours playing music
- WiFi hot-spotting, allowing it to share net time with external devices
- Improved twin antenna system (hopefully beating the iPhone4′s issues with hands blocking signal)
- Even better call quality
- Improved data over cell, up to 14.4Mb/s (double the iPhone4)
- Single phone design handles both GSM and CDMA, no longer two different versions
- 8Mp camera with auto-focus, face detection, and flash; very fast at 2 frames per second
- 1080P video recording with image stabilization and noise reduction
- AirPlay Mirroring, meaning info on the screen and be shown on other screens (wireless to Mac or iPad, wired to compatible TVs or Monitors)
- And of course, iOS5 built-in
Apple is really going all out. The new voice direction system in iOS5, called Siri, is getting smarter, learning to understand that ”Will it rain in Cupertino” or “Do I need an umbrella today?” are the same question. Siri will figure it out and respond. She is attached to the full search system, and can handle getting travel directions, web searches, clock searches, and more. She can even read your text messages or tweets over a bluetooth headset, and you can reply by speaking back to her. Direction to create appointment reminders, or even an example of a reminder to call a person can be done vocally through Siri.
One almost has to question why they are going crazy with the camera. I mean, I understand, as my cell phone fills in as my backup digital cam and camcorder, but it isn’t and never was expected to be my primary. Going down to a frame-to-frame level approaching lower level DSLR cameras is almost crazy for a cellular device!
The iPhone4S will be available in black or white, 16Gb for $199, 32Gb for $299, and 64Gb for $399. The 8Gb iPhone4 will remain, at $99, and the iPhone3GS 8Gb free on contract. iPhone4S preorders will be opening Oct. 7th, and will be available everywhere on the 14th.
It looks like this new phone, as well as the new iPod offerings running on iOS5, will be on the Apple Store site when it reopens. It has been confirmed that this will be covering Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T in the US!
Source: Engadget Live Blog