Could this be the box for the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S9? Samsung was/is set to reveal their upcoming flagship in the Galaxy line at this years MWC. The Galaxy S9. Supposedly this is the box for their new S9 handset, let’s take a look at what’s going on here.
- 5.8″ Quad HD+ sAMOLED screen (5.6″ rounded corners)
- Super Speed Dual Pixel 12MP OIS (f1.5/f2.4)
- Super Slow-mo
- 8MP AF Selfie Camera
- Stereo Speakers tuned by AKG
- IP68 Water & Dust Resistant
- Iris Scanner
- 64GB Memory/4GB RAM
- Wireless Charging
- Earphones tuned by AKG
There are actually a few things to take away from this, especially if this leak is accurate. These are in no particular order, just going down the list on the box.
- The rounded corners thing on the display. Are they going back to the ‘Edge’ branding? Or could this possibly be the S9 and the S9+ will feature the ‘edge’ screen?
- Stereo Speakers tuned by AKG – I seriously doubt these will be front firing speakers (that would be too awesome) these at worst will be two speakers on the bottom of the phone. At best there will be a speaker at the top and bottom of the phone, but not facing front.
- IP68 Water & Dust Resistant – This is not waterproof but it is pretty darn close. With this rating, it should be protected from long-term immersion up to a specified pressure. Basically, it can go and stay, underwater for a period of time up to a certain depth. I’m guessing that would be specified by Samsung.
- Earphones tuned by AKG – I’m a headphone/earphone guy and I hate the fact that we pay so much for our phones and they can’t include a pair of earbuds. If you didn’t know last year Samsung acquired Harmon (that includes AKG, among others). If the S9 comes with headphones, hopefully, that will set a tone for others.
While there are some interesting things about this leak, if true, there’s nothing really mind-blowing. If those stereo speakers turn out to be front facing, that could be pretty exciting. Especially to see how it stacks up against the Razer phone. What do you think? Just based on these specs alone, is it enough to make you want the new Samsung S9?