Oh, you thought the mobile phone service industry was as competitive as it could be? Sprint seems to have topped everyone with this latest deal! Sign up now, and you could have unlimited calls, texts, and data for free until July 2018. What’s the catch?
So, let’s break this down. This deal is only available to new subscribers who are bringing their own unlocked devices. Sprint will not buy you out of your old contract or pay off your device. “Free” really means ridiculously cheap. You’ll still be charged a few things, including a $1.99 admin charge, $.40 regulatory fee, and whatever taxes get tacked on. You have to pay the $30 activation fee and buy a SIM card ($3), but Old Yeller will comp you for the activation charge after a couple months.
Now that those stipulations are out of the way, here’s what you get:
- Unlimited data, talk and text
- HD streaming:
- Video at speeds up to 1080p
- Music at up to 1.5mbps
- Gaming streams at up to 8mbps
- Unlimited 4G LTE data for most everything else. Data deprioritization applies during congestion.
- 10GB of high-speed data per line to use toward mobile hotspot, VPN and Peer-2-Peer usage. Once your 10GB is used up:
- Continue at up to 2G speeds (32 Kbps) on our network for no additional cost, or
- Purchase more on-network high-speed data for $15/1GB to tide you over for the rest of your bill cycle
Okay, let’s not linger on the fact that 1080p is video size, not speed. This is not a bad deal at all, especially since you can back out anytime you like. Sprint is really counting on this promotion to get a spike in new subscribers. They certainly need it, considering they are still sitting soundly in fourth place, after Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile. Also, with Comcast becoming a carrier, it will continue getting even more competitive.
- Free service for 1 year for new customers who switch to Sprint and sign up on sprint.com/1yearfree between 6/9/17 and 6/30/17. Save until 7/31/18.
- You’ll save more than $900 (compared to Verizon’s one-line unlimited rate plan) in the first year
- Switch your whole family and save even more!
- A standard $1.99 admin fee, $0.40 regulatory fee and other taxes and fees apply
- Your $30 activation fee is waived as part of this promotion. The fee will appear on your first bill and a credit will appear within 2 bills.
- Requires a Sprint SIM card, eBill and Sprint AutoPay ($5/mo./line discount applied within two invoices)
- If AutoPay is cancelled, you’ll pay $5/mo./line
- If AutoPay and eBill are removed, a $7.99/mo. charge will apply for Account Spending Limit customers
- Your Spending Limit is the monthly maximum amount of spending per phone on your account based on your credit decision
- For accounts with multiple phones, the total spending limit is calculated as the number of phones on the account multiplied by the spending limit per phone
- You must own the phone(s) you’re bringing to Sprint.
- After 7/31/18, pay:
- Line 1: $60/mo.
- Line 2: $40/mo.
- Lines 3-5: $30/mo/line
- Pricing shown with AutoPay. Add $5/mo./line without AutoPay
Is this deal enough for you geeks to leave your current carrier? Let us know in the comments! If it is, you’d better hurry. This promo ends on 6/30/17!